Fréttir

RECAP: Benjamin Mendy trial hears woman tell police she thought City star was ‘joking’ when he said ‘I’m going to kidnap you’

The trial of Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy continued today. The France international defender, 28, is on trial at Chester Crown Court accused of eight counts of rape; one count of attempted rape; and one count of sexual assault. He denies all the charges he faces.

Co-defendant Louis Saha Matturie, 41, from Eccles, Salford, has also pleaded not guilty to eight counts of rape; and four counts of sexual assault, relating to eight women.

Mr Mendy was described to jurors as the trial was opened on Monday as a ‘predator’ who ‘turned the pursuit of women for sex into a game’, the court was told. He told a young woman ‘don’t move, don’t move’ as he held her arms behind her back and raped her, prosecutors alleged.

READ MORE:Devastated mum of boy pulled from horror pub blaze speaks out as he fights for life

Mr Mendy is alleged to have attacked seven women at his home near Prestbury, Cheshire, between October 2018 and August last year, with prosecutors alleging he used Mr Matturie as a ‘fixer’ to attack them.

Prosecutors allege the footballer showed a ‘callous indifference’ towards his accusers – who were described in court as ‘vulnerable, scared, isolated’.



Benjamin Mendy arrives at Chester Crown Court

Mr Mendy, a £52m Premier League star who prosecutors said enjoyed a ‘privileged and moneyed lifestyle’, is alleged to have committed the offences against seven young women between October 2018 and August last year at his home in Prestbury, near Cheshire.

Jurors heard the footballer was ‘prepared to cross that line’ of consent ‘over and over again’ and if ‘women got hurt or distressed, too bad’.

Opening the case against the defendant, prosecutor Timothy Cray QC told a jury panel of eight men and six women, two of whom will be discharged after the opening: “The prosecution case is simple – it has little to do with football.



Louis Saha Matturie

“Instead, we say, it is another chapter in a very old story – men who rape and sexually assault women because they think they are powerful, and because they think they can get away with it.”

Mr Cray said the feelings of the alleged victims ‘counted for nothing’, adding: “These women were disposable, things to be used for sex, then thrown to one side.”

Look back at our live updates from Chester Crown Court on Wednesday in the blog below…